Sunday 15 January 2012

the godly law of Austria

It's Sunday in Vienna. Shops are closed. BECAUSE it's Sunday - the day of rest. And yes, we're in 21st century, I'm not talking about some old, old times...

With time I've learnt to accept that with almost 2millions inhabitants, when it comes to the 7th day of the week there are only 3 shops open - 3 exeptions from the rule.
For example, there is BILLA on Praterstern - the train station not far from where I live.

And so I went to BILLA to buy just a couple of things that I really needed. (It's not worth trying to do proper grocery shopping on Sunday, because there every week feels as if Christmas was to come tomorrow and the store is full.)

To my surprise, some shelves turned out to be totally hidden behind the bars.
I've never really noticed, but today - here is what I read on a note on one of such shelves:

The 'store opening hours' refer to all other stores, I presume. But as someone who's not a true Viennese I was most surprised to see this:

So, according to the Austrian law, not only do I have to spend plenty of time queing on Sundays (as a punishment for not having bought whatever it is I need on Saturday?), but also I should tell my runny nose to wait for Monday, because apparently it's against law to buy Kleenex. (!!!)

Oh Austria, Ich liebe dich.

1 comment: