Wednesday 25 January 2012

Do YOU want to be part of history?

I cannot tell you how many times have I heard from my friends (young and let's-change-the-world people that we are) that they would like their names to appear somewhere in the pages of history. And here is an idea how you could make that happen (regardless of age!)  =)

In October 2010 I went to Barbican, London, to a concert by LSO and LSC performing Eric Whitacre's compositions under his conduction. Little did I know how many consequences this will have on my free time... ;)
Eric Whitacre is a modern composer, conductor and lecturer and during this concert he presented a project that he was working on - and everybody was invited. The charismatic person that he is, I was immediately convinced that this was something that I could put on my one-of-a-kind-experiences list and, therefore, should definitely try to participate. And so I started practicing, even though I had had a little break from singing...
 
A year ago I took part in the second edition of Eric Whitacre's project called "Virtual Choir".

And believe me, this was one of a kind experience.
Over 2,000 people from 58 countries has recorded and uploaded their performances of "Sleep" and after months of work all the tracks have been put together to create, as the name suggests, a VIRTUAL choir.

When I saw it... when I heard it... I had goosebumps:) I had taken part in something very unusual and beautiful: Everyone was united.
The day it was released also became a day when journalists were messaging me on Facebook asking about the project (as I was one of only 13 people who took part in Poland) and my mum informed me that some people approached her with an "I saw your daughter on tv" news.

And as nice as this all is, it was only this semester in Vienna when I realised those who participated are part of the history ALREADY.
I'm doing an exchange programme at University of Vienna and one of my courses deals with a part of modern history of music, namely music videos.
Dear Mr.Whitacre and Virtual Choir 2.0 participants, let me tell you that we are part of the curriculum of UniversitÓ“t Wien!

I have exam coming up next Wednesday, but this is the first time in my life that I'll be writing, amongst other things of course, about something I was a part of. Now how cool is that? :-)

And to those of you who might've not heard about Virtual Choir until now: if you haven't seen it, you definitely should! Here is a link: Virtual Choir 2.0 - 'Sleep'
Eric Whitacre and Virtual Choir 2.0 performing 'Sleep'; Source: ericwhitacre.com/the-virtual-choir 

To sum up this little choir story of mine I would like to notice that there is a Virtual Choir 3 project running and you can still record your videos! It's very simple and there is a lot of material to practice, so do not worry. 
Furthermore, this time it's going to be different, it will not only appear on YouTube, but there will be an audiovisual installation with surround sound and people will be able to visit in cities all around the world.
What are you still thinking about? Go! Practice! Record! 
Write your name in the pages of history.


For more info on the project and how to participate go to: Virtual Choir 3

And if you liked what you read do not forget to pop back in, next I'll be writing a manual on how to see a performance in the world's most famous Opera in Vienna for the price of a small coffee in Starbucks... and survive it. :) Coming up soon!

1 comment: