Thursday 24 November 2011

recessive traits & black metal

Yet another time I would like to complain about the lovely educational system in Austria.

I don't know if I should feel offended or not, but although it SOUNDS as the lectures here are trying to educate us in a variety of fields, the boring way in which they are trying to pass on to us their precious knowledge of things we already know (ok, it's an assumption. I do, I'm not sure about the others... arghhh ....

You know what? I'm just angry by now.
Angry with helplessness.

Because about the heredity and recessive traits, genes and chromosomes I know since biology classes in college(BE)/high school(AE) [I always get confused when it comes to naming this school...nvm]
And that the subculture of people listening to black metal , although appears to be (I cite) "obsessed" with death, won't necessairly attact and kill you, I know from experience already. People going to University weren't just born yesterday, were they?

Because this is how I could summarize my last two days at Uni: chromosomes & metal.
And I thought I'd be learning about... or analysing... I don't know... literature?... culture?...

I guess those who say it's best  not to have any expectations are right.
Starting from tomorrow.
No more Uni-related expectations.
Let us be bored to death...

P.S. It is of the heighest importance for me to add: this post was written while our professor was explainig the way in which cats inherit their fur colour from their parents. 
Course title: Austrian Culture.
(As, obviously, you could've guessed from the topic we've dealt with on our today's lecture.)

P.P.S. Otherwise life in Vienna is great! I just hate Uni. Some posts on a more optimistic note may follow soon ;)

3 comments:

  1. btw, as far as I remember from... eee... junior high school (?) it was Gregor Mendel who first described inheritance of traits, and, it was in the Austrian empire, so somehow it's Austrian culture ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the winner is...Szymek! You have great memory:) So you're right about Mendel and his nationality. Nevertheless, I believe that going on for an hour about how inheritance of traits works was not important for the subject. Imagine an exam question which asks you to explain how it works. Is it still a question about Austrian culture or rather about biology/genetics?
    And yes, DAY were;) I had to run and didn't have time to proofread. :P I'm glad I can count on others, someone will spot my mistakes;)

    ReplyDelete